Rick 4F

The original image for this was gracefully provided by Scotty JX from his 'Actiongirls' website.

I've got 2 lists. One a 'to do' list with amongst others your requests and a second one with 'want to do' items on it. It largely contains items that either take way too long to put together (a big bar scene for example) or go beyond what I feel are my technicals skills.

I did some outdoor scenes before. Never really that convincing. It all has to do with reflections, how they behave and how you and I expect them to behave. In an interior scene it's relatively easy to convince the viewer that the studio lights reflecting of the shiny second skin belongs there. Place that same second skin in for example a forest and well, it doesn't usually look good or realistic.

I had this image for nearly 9 years on my HD's. Knew I wanted to do a crashed space opera scene with it, while I had no idea how to make it believable. Previous image (called decommissioned) was a mayor step in achieving this. Instead of my usual approach I used several 3D models to graft the shine from an HDRI image into my image onto the main character. 

3d-model-to-2d-image.thumb.jpg.b43d38264fac1cccd9a87b06e66cd2e8.jpgI have been lately rendering more and more 3D parts of an image out and then incorporated them into the 2D image but never on this scale. It means many renders have to be made because things don't fit at first attempt, like they are bend the wrong way, I change my mind or figure there needs to be more or something new. For this image the result was that I ended up with 176 different photoshop layers. :omg2: For me that's insane when I consider having 20 already much.

But in the end it was worth it. On the left btw I'm in the process of merging part of a 3D rendered zipper into the sitting beach girl's costume. Originally she was attached to a chain as well but I found it became too much clutter and just buried most of of the chain under the sand.

On to the next one! :wave4: